About this role
Sentry is looking for a Technical Writer to greatly expand and improve our developer documentation. You'll work very closely with Product and Engineering, become an expert on our services, SDKs, and integrations, and help develop the right voice to explain Sentry to engineers. This is more than just writing docs, as you'll also be shaping how technical information is presented and structured and the role it plays in the user's experience.
You'll help answer questions like: What's the best way to educate users? How can we guide them to features that will improve their experience and help them fit Sentry into their existing workflows?
Your work will be seen by hundreds of thousands of engineers, from one-person shops to more-than-one-person shops like Uber, Dropbox, Microsoft, and the New York Times. You'll be joining a team that strongly values kindness and competence. And if that isn't enough, you'll get to work directly with people who tell mildly entertaining jokes!
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who can write detailed technical documentation that is engaging and easy to read, who loves to see the immediate impact of their work on a finished product, and who wants to have an outsized impact on a hyper-growth company. If that's you, start thinking of your new hire gif right now.
You'll be responsible for:
- Writing documentation, eating documentation, sleeping documentation
- Shaping all that documentation into a cohesive story that can turn a beginner into an expert and an expert into even more of one
- Partnering with Product and Engineering to ensure we’re answering the right questions
You'll love this job if:
- You love explaining things to people. Not in a "well, actually" kinda way, but in a way that is genuinely helpful
- You like to own your projects and see them to completion
- You're good at (and enjoy) taking deep dives into the technical side of how software works
- Serious writing skills: work samples required
- 2+ years of relevant experience in technical writing or engineering
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent background
- Technical understanding of software and ability to communicate to developers
- Fluency explaining complex concepts in a simple, holistic, and enjoyable way
- Knowledge of the developer tools ecosystem and/or open source
- Background in blogging, podcasts, customer support, journalism, engineering
- Passion for telling stories
- Past work at a fast-paced startup and comfort with self-direction
- Contribute to an open source product used by tens of thousands of developers and companies
- Be part of an experienced and renowned team that has worked on some of the world's most popular software products and open source tools
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Commuter subsidy
- Charitable matching program
- Generous parental leave policy and 529 College Savings Plan
- Flexible working schedule and vacation policy, and real work/life balance
- Company events (Hack Weeks, All Hands, quarterly social events) and friends and family events
- Relocation assistance
Sentry values diversity and inclusivity in our company and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.