Sentry's mission is to empower software development teams to build better products, faster. Our open source crash reporting platform helps almost a million developers and tens of thousands of software teams at some of the internet's most loved websites/apps (Dropbox, Uber, Airbnb, Stripe, Atlassian, and many more) discover, triage, and resolve production software issues, so they can spend less time debugging and more time building software.
About this role
The Product Engineering organization is responsible for nearly all of Sentry's user-facing product development. This scope includes (but is not limited to) our web-based dashboard for assessing issue impact, workflow tools for assignment and resolution, alerting mechanisms, our developer API and integration platform, authentication and identity, and more.
As Engineering Manager in Product Engineering, you’ll lead four to seven cross-functional engineers across multiple teams tasked with improving and expanding the Sentry product. You'll work closely with your team, product managers, designers, and other engineering teams to build features that provide value to our users and align with business goals. You'll inspire your teams to do their best work by cultivating a strong team identity, performing regular 1:1s and career coaching, planning aggressive-but-realistic milestones, and by keeping everyone accountable. You'll grow your teams both by leveling up engineers, as well as being responsible for hiring – regularly interviewing talented candidates, convincing them to join our mission to have Sentry in every developer's toolbox.
If you want to lead a team of strong product-minded software engineers building a mission critical open source development tool, this could be the role for you.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Growing and developing a team of talented and motivated engineers with high expectations around individual ownership and impact
- Setting direction for the team, anticipating strategic and scaling-related challenges
- Assisting with sprint planning and task estimation
- Contributing to Sentry’s technical and product strategy
- Fostering a healthy and collaborative culture that embodies our values
You’ll succeed in this role if:
- You enjoy mentorship and helping engineers grow
- You take pride in building features that don’t just work, but are also delightful to use
- You want to join a modern software development team that iterates and ships code rapidly
- You want to contribute to an open source product
Examples of projects our team has worked on
- Augmenting error reports with Git commit data
- Workflow improvements to resolution and silence
- @ Your teammates with Mentions
- Keep an eye on new code with deploys
- 7+ years industry experience in software engineering, with considerable experience building full stack web applications
- 2+ years of people management experience
- A strong empathy for user experience; you care deeply about product experience and delivering real value to users
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and an ability to articulate technical concepts clearly and succinctly
- Live in the San Francisco Bay Area, or are willing to relocate