The Sentry Story
Our Co-Founders David Cramer and Chris Jennings (include hyperlinks) realized that developers are at the core of virtually every organization, building and managing the software that makes modern businesses tick. With the developers' workflow in mind, they started an open-source side project that has now turned into a well-loved product used by 1M+ developers.
It is our mission to empower software development teams to build better products, faster. Our application monitoring platform helps millions of developers discover, triage, and resolve software issues, so they can spend less time debugging and more time doing what they love... building software.
About the Team
The Search and Storage team is responsible for the infrastructure that powers all of Sentry's time-series data and searching capabilities across billions of events with sub-second latency. We started this initiative by building Snuba, the primary storage and query service for Sentry's event data powered by ClickHouse, and we're now looking to provide even more visibility and reporting on the terabytes of data that our users send us.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you'll lead efforts to bring Sentry into a new age of data visibility. You’ll do this by expanding the capabilities of our search infrastructure, developing new solutions based on our state of the art storage and increasing the performance and integrity of Sentry’s core data services. You’ll also contribute to the vision of Infrastructure at Sentry and collaborate with Product and other Engineering teams to turn that vision into a reality.
If you're looking for a high-impact role where you move a company from processing "big data" to "really big data", this could be the job for you.
In this role, you will:
- Expand Search and Storage's impact on delivering world-class data delivery.
- Architect and automate services and systems to meet the demand of scale.
- Make architectural decisions to balance the wants and needs of Product and Engineering teams.
- Maintain and grow the team's code quality initiatives by regularly reviewing code and contributing to design decisions.
- Lead design and discussions around deliverables the team is working towards.
- Improve the approachability of the codebases that Search and Storage holds domain over.
You will be successful in this role if you have:
- 4+ years relevant experience
- Strong knowledge of replicated and/or distributed data storage systems
- Experience with Python or a similar dynamic programming language
- You have experience with some or all of the following systems we leverage:
- Disk-driven Storage Systems: PostgreSQL, ClickHouse
- Memory-driven Storage Systems: Memcached, Redis
- Streaming Platforms: Kafka, RabbitMQ
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to articulate technical concepts clearly and succinctly
- In the San Francisco Bay Area or willing to relocate
Examples of projects our team has worked on:
- Snuba, Sentry's new Search Infrastructure
- Mitigating Risk while Migrating to ClickHouse
- Getting Stronger Consistency out of a Datastore
To Learn More About Sentry
- We just raised our series C! Learn more on VentureBeat, Business Insider, and TechCrunch.
- We're constantly writing about...us. Check out our blog here.
- We're also tweeting away. Keep up with us on Twitter.
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees, 75% company-paid for dependents
- Monthly commuter subsidy
- 401k program
- Learning & Development stipend
- Charitable matching program
- Generous parental leave policy
- Flexible working schedule and vacation policy, work from home policy, and real work/life balance
- Friday catered lunches
- Company events (Hack Weeks, All Hands, quarterly social events) and friends and family events
- Relocation assistance
Sentry values diversity and inclusivity in our company and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.