The Sentry Story
Our Co-Founders David Cramer and Chris Jennings realized that developers are at the core of virtually every organization, building and managing the software that makes modern businesses tick. With the developers' workflow in mind, they started an open-source side project that has now turned into a well-loved product used by 1M+ developers.
It is our mission to empower software development teams to build better products, faster. Our application monitoring platform helps millions of developers discover, triage, and resolve software issues, so they can spend less time debugging and more time doing what they love... building software.
About the Role / Impact
Sentry is looking for an experienced wordsmith to lead a small team that manages our documentation, in-app explanations and also contributes to blog posts and other written content. We want to make sure developers, managers and anyone invested in quality software can use our products easily and successfully.
At Sentry, documentation lives in the Engineering and Product Development team — we don't believe a feature is done until everyone understands it. You & your team will work closely with product managers to produce the best possible customer experience.
We believe that technical writing can be more than just accurate and consistent, we want to show that it can solve customer problems.
As the Documentation Manager, you will:
- Build out our documentation so Sentry's current customers can understand how to use our more advanced features while ensuring that new users are able to get started easily
- Work with the product, support and engineering teams to ensure we have a comprehensive yet easy to parse documentation
- Write documentation directly, as well as edit contributions from our employees and the wider open-source world
- Set the structure of our documentation and keep our voice consistent
- Inspire, coach, and mentor writers — and be involved in hiring contractors & full time additions to our team
- Work with our head of product to set clear expectations of goals and performance metrics for what it means for documentation to be successful
You’ll be successful in this role if you have:
- A passion about making words useful and actionable
- At least five (5) years of experience in technical documentation — we are looking for someone who has done it before and can bring us to the next level
- A track record of improving existing styles, processes, and teams
- A large corpus of technical writing that you can point to
- A lot more goes into getting words to customers than just writing; the more of the process you've been involved in, the better
- Experience defining and evolving the architecture of documentation
- People management experience
- Experience working with contractors — or better yet a few that you'd like to work with again
- Open Source experience — our documentation is developed in the open
- While being able to code isn't a strict requirement day 1, be prepared to learn
- You've been a product manager or engineer in a previous life
- You have a dog eared copy of "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"
You’ll love this opportunity here at Sentry if you:
- Are passionate about clarity & conveying information in a structured intuitive way
- Want to work with a brilliant and diverse group of people in several countries who could use a dose of Strunk & White
- Can humour [sic] a manger who puts an em-dash in every second sentence but still want to help him become a better writer
- Believes that documentation can be great and is willing to prove it
To Learn More About Sentry
- We just raised our series C! See us on VentureBeat, Business Insider, and TechCrunch.
- We're constantly writing about...us. Check out our blog here.
- We're also tweeting away. Keep up with us on Twitter.
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees, 75% company-paid for dependents
- Monthly commuter subsidy
- 401k program
- Learning & Development stipend
- Charitable matching program
- Generous parental leave policy
- Flexible working schedule and vacation policy, work from home policy, and real work/life balance
- Friday catered lunches
- Company events (Hack Weeks, All Hands, quarterly social events) and friends and family events
- Relocation assistance
Sentry values diversity and inclusivity in our company and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.