Bad software is everywhere, and we’re tired of it. Sentry is on a mission to help developers write better software faster, so we can get back to enjoying technology.
With more than $127 million in funding and 68,000 customers that believe we’re on to something, we're building performance and error monitoring tools that help companies like Disney, Microsoft, and Atlassian spend less time fixing bugs and more time building products. If you like to selfishly build things that make your digital life better, come help us build the next generation of software monitoring tools.
About the Role
Sentry’s users trust us to develop, ship, and operate a secure open source product, so that they can focus on monitoring their own applications worry-free. We are looking for an experienced Director of Engineering focused in Security to deliver on this promise to our users.
In this role, you will be focusing on building and scaling Sentry’s security programs from early adoption (creating BugBounty programs, penetration testing, establishing red team programs, etc.) and eventually scaling to a full-blown Sentry security team. This role is not for the faint of heart, you will be adopting our current security protocols, improve and expand on them while breaking barriers to create a secure environment for all of our users. The uniqueness of this role which separates us from other companies is that Sentry is and always will be an Open Source option for our users, having a mindset for outside-of-the box thinking to protect all of our users is what will drive success in this role.
In this role you will:
- Build application security programs with support from CTO and IT/Compliance orgs including working w/ external parties for pen tests and bounty programs.
- Focus on automation / toolchain improvements over process.
- Partner with the recruiting organization to build a world class security team.
- Participate in discussions related to product security features, such as MFA, session audit tooling, etc...
- Explore options of driving future products related to security.
You’ll love this job if you:
- Are passionate about creatively building out security solutions.
- Seek a sense of ownership and high level of impact in a company.
- Have a knack for finding areas of weakness and building on them.
- Enjoy mentoring a team to up-level security skills.
- Are driven to contribute to make engineering lives easier and more efficient.
- Well versed in the security domain of a modern business with deep knowledge in at least two of the following areas: application security, infrastructure security, and IT (corporate security).
- 10+ years relevant experience, with 5 years minimum in security-focused roles, as well as prior management experience.
- A computer science background, or equivalent work history in software engineering. The role is not entirely hands-on, but a technical background is a must.
- Prior experience in building and managing a security program, including bug bounties, penetration testing, and continuous training.
- Self-motivated and passionate about ownership, you will be building the program and the team.
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees, 75% company-paid for dependents
- Monthly commuter subsidy.
- Charitable matching program.
- Generous parental leave policy.
- Flexible working schedule and vacation policy, and real work/life balance.
- Company events (Hack Weeks, All Hands, quarterly social events) and friends and family events.
- Relocation assistance.
Sentry values diversity and inclusivity in our company and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Apply For This Role