Bad software is everywhere, and we’re tired of it. Sentry is on a mission to help developers write better software faster, so we can get back to enjoying technology.
With more than $127 million in funding and 70,000 organizations that believe we’re on to something, we're building performance and error monitoring tools that help companies like Disney, Microsoft, and Atlassian spend less time fixing bugs and more time building products. If you like to selfishly build things that make your digital life better, come help us build the next generation of software monitoring tools.
About the Role
The Search and Storage team is responsible for the infrastructure that powers all of Sentry's time-series data and searching capabilities across billions of events with sub-second latency. We started this initiative by building Snuba, the primary storage and query service for Sentry's event data powered by ClickHouse, and we're now looking to provide even more visibility and reporting on the terabytes of data that our users send us.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you'll lead efforts to bring Sentry into a new age of data visibility. You’ll do this by working directly with consumers of this data to build out new capabilities in our search infrastructure, developing new solutions based on our state of the art storage, and increasing the performance and integrity of Sentry’s core data services. You’ll also contribute to the vision of Infrastructure at Sentry and collaborate with other stakeholders to turn that vision into a reality.
If you're looking for a high-impact role where you do the thinking necessary to move a company from processing "big data" to "really big data", this could be the job for you.
In this role you will:
- Work with people across Sentry to expand Search and Storage's impact on delivering world-class data delivery.
- Architect and automate services and systems to meet the demand of scale.
- Make architectural decisions to balance the wants and needs of Product and Engineering teams.
- Maintain and grow the team's code quality initiatives by regularly reviewing code and leading design discussions.
- Collaborate with other teams on shared designs and deliverables.
- Mentor other engineers to grow Sentry's capability to deliver.
- Improve the state of the art of the Search & Storage team's services.
Examples of projects our team has worked on:
- Snuba, Sentry's new Search Infrastructure
- Mitigating Risk while Migrating to ClickHouse
- Getting Stronger Consistency out of a Datastore
- 10+ years relevant experience
- Strong knowledge of replicated and/or distributed data storage systems
- Experience working as a cross-team collaborator
- You have experience with some or all of the following systems we leverage:
- Disk-driven Storage Systems: PostgreSQL, ClickHouse
- Memory-driven Storage Systems: Memcached, Redis
- Streaming Platforms: Kafka, RabbitMQ
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to articulate technical concepts clearly and succinctly
- In the San Francisco Bay Area or willing to relocate
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees, 75% company-paid for dependents
- Monthly commuter subsidy
- 401k program
- Learning & Development stipend
- Charitable matching program
- Generous parental leave policy
- Flexible working schedule and vacation policy, work from home policy, and real work/life balance
- Friday catered lunches
- Company events (Hack Weeks, All Hands, quarterly social events) and friends and family events
- Relocation assistance
COVID Vaccine Required - Reasonable Accommodations for Medical or Religious Reasons Considered
Sentry values diversity and inclusivity in our company and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Apply For This Role