Bad software is everywhere, and we’re tired of it. Sentry is on a mission to help developers write better software faster, so we can get back to enjoying technology.
With more than $217 million in funding and 85,000 organizations that believe we’re on to something, we're building performance and error monitoring tools that help companies like Disney, Microsoft, and Atlassian spend less time fixing bugs and more time building products. If you like to selfishly build things that make your digital life better, come help us build the next generation of software monitoring tools.
About the role
As a Senior Software Engineer on Sentry's Issues team, you will work with a seasoned squad on our largest and most popular product experience. This is a high-impact role; not only is Issues the main entry point to Sentry, but it's also where teams across the company surface actionable issues for our users. We build and maintain features including: issue search, releases, notifications as well as status updates and their downstream effects. As Sentry grows, we fold these concepts into our core domain and create the next generation of error monitoring.
As a Senior Backend Engineer on the Issues team, you will shape the experience of how our users interact with error data. You will collaborate with other teams throughout the company to ensure that our customers continue to gain valuable insights into their own products. Presenting new ideas to our technical steering committee, establishing ownership of a feature set and growing your technical skills are just a few of the activities you can expect from this role.
In this role you will
- Lead high value initiatives, implement high quality features driving engineering excellence, mentoring junior engineers, and raising the bar for the rest of the organization
- Work with product management and the larger engineering organization to define, implement and ship new features
- Work with an open-source community that showcases your skills
You’ll love this job if you
- Are driven by impact and like working on high-impact initiatives. The Issues Team directly works on some of the most important items at Sentry
- Enjoy working cross-functionally and building out features alongside developers and product teams
- Respect the value of design constraints but enjoy pushing their limits
- Minimum 7+ years of professional experience with Bachelor's degree in computer science or related degree
- Minimum 2+ years experience with Django
- Experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale data applications, and search
- Solid understanding of distributed systems, data stores, data modeling, indexing, performance tuning, and associated trade-offs
- Experienced writing technical documentation, mentoring, and presenting to engineers
- Professional experience with PostgresSQL (or other relational databases)
- Experience owning a system, feature, or component with end to end understanding (unofficially or officially) leading or collaborating with multiple engineers and/or teams
- Experience completing projects at a large scope
- Backend focused role, frontend experience a plus
The base salary range (or hourly wage range, if applicable) that Sentry reasonably expects to pay for this position is $110,000 to $240,000. A successful candidate’s actual base salary (or hourly wage) amount will be determined by a variety of relevant factors including, without limitation, the candidate’s work location, education, work and other relevant experience, skills, and job-related knowledge. A successful candidate will be eligible to participate in Sentry’s employee benefit plans/programs applicable to the candidate’s position (including incentive compensation, equity grants, paid time off, and group health insurance coverage). See Sentry Benefits for more details about the Company’s benefit plans/programs.
Equal Opportunity at Sentry
Sentry is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to its employees and candidates for employment regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or other legally-protected characteristic. This commitment includes the provision of reasonable accommodations to employees and candidates for employment with physical or mental disabilities who require such accommodations in order to (a) perform the essential functions of their jobs, or (b) seek employment with Sentry. We strive to build a diverse team, with an inclusive culture where every teammate can thrive. Sentry is an open-source company because we believe that everyone, everywhere, should have the ability and tools to make great software. Software should be accessible. That starts with making our industry accessible.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.