About this role
Sentry is looking for a Developer Evangelist. Ideally that means two things:
- You’re a developer. You thoroughly understand why software errors are a frustrating but unavoidable part of the development cycle.
- You’re a public speaker. Not out of career necessity, but because you genuinely enjoy talking in front of other people.
As our Developer Evangelist you’ll create video tutorials and other educational content (with help from our content team), represent Sentry by speaking at and attending numerous conferences and meet-ups, and spend plenty of time writing code so that you continue to stay on top of developer trends that will inform the presentations and tutorials mentioned earlier in this paragraph.
Your work will be seen by hundreds of thousands of engineers, from one-person shops to more-than-one-person shops like Uber, Square, Microsoft, and the New York Times. You’ll be joining a team that strongly values kindness and competence. And if that isn’t enough, you’ll get to work directly with people who tell mildly entertaining jokes!
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is deeply technical, has a real love for sharing that technical experience with other people, and who wants to have a big impact on a fast-growing company. If that’s you, start thinking of your new hire gif right now.
You'll be responsible for:
- Being a voice of Sentry. You’re a walking embodiment of who we are as a company
- Helping shape our approach to branding, marketing, and education
- Building on our already deep foundations in the dev source community to turn Sentry into a true developer household name
- Partnering with Product and Engineering to ensure we’re talking at the right conferences and focusing on the right topics when we do so
You'll love this job if:
- You love explaining things to people. Not in a “well, actually” kinda way, but in a way that is genuinely helpful
- You like to own your projects and see them to completion
- You’re good at (and enjoy) taking deep dives into the technical side of how software works
- You have a goofy sense of humor that you’d enjoy putting to use in your actual work
- Serious public speaking skills. You’re a Dev Evangelist, not a Dev Occasional Talker
- 2+ years of relevant experience as an engineer
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent background
- Technical understanding of software and the ability to communicate to developers
- Fluency explaining complex concepts in a simple, holistic, and enjoyable way
- Knowledge of the developer tools ecosystem and/or open source
- Passion for telling stories
- Past work at a start-up and comfort with self-direction
- Background in acting, education, storytelling, stand up comedy (taking an improv class once because your partner forced you to does not count)
- Contribute to an open source product used by tens of thousands of developers and companies
- Be part of an experienced and renowned team that has worked on some of the world's most popular software products and open source tools
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Commuter subsidy
- Charitable matching program
- Generous parental leave policy and 529 College Savings Plan
- Flexible working schedule and vacation policy, and real work/life balance
- Company events (Hack Weeks, All Hands, quarterly social events) and friends and family events
- Relocation assistance
Sentry values diversity and inclusivity in our company and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.