Bad software is everywhere, and we’re tired of it. Sentry is on a mission to help developers write better software faster, so we can get back to enjoying technology.
With more than $67 million in funding and 20,000 customers that believe we’re on to something, we're building performance and error monitoring tools that help companies like Disney, Microsoft, and Atlassian spend less time fixing bugs and more time building products. If you like to selfishly build things that make your digital life better, come help us build the next generation of software monitoring tools.
About the Role
The Engineering Operations team is responsible for the deployment, configuration, maintenance and monitoring of Sentry's hosted platform. We do this by leveraging automation tools to automatically spin up and scale services to meet the traffic demands of 1,000,000+ developers. Sentry receives over a billion events a day, and process terabytes of data to return complex aggregations with sub-second latency.
As a Senior Operations Engineer, you will work with our Infrastructure team to evolve Sentry's data storage systems to handle 100x our current event volume. You'll do this by automating the addition of instances to our Kafka and ClickHouse clusters, and researching and implementing new ways of increasing the performance and resilience of those systems. You’ll contribute to vision of Engineering Operations in a world of cloud providers, and when nothing else needs your attention, you will aid other engineering teams in in their efforts to grow and sustain Sentry.
If you're looking for a high-impact role where you move a company from processing "big data" to "really big data", this could be the job for you.
In this role you will:
- Ensure the uptime and reliability of Sentry's hosted platform.
- Architect and automate services and systems to meet the demand of scale.
- Perform routine upgrades on Production-critical databases (Postgres, ClickHouse, Redis).
- Research and tune databases to operate at maximum efficiency.
- Collaborate with other Engineering teams to deploy and scale new and existing services.
- Be a member of the Engineering Operations team's on-call rotation, and be available to respond and resolve critical issues.
You'll love this job if:
- You’re not afraid to dig into Linux internals during the troubleshooting process.
- You've experienced leading the way
- You've seen networks make and break hosted solutions; and have direct experience with growing and maintaining distributed systems.
- You’re familiar with the various SaaS ecosystems and have taken ownership of a service you once knew nothing about.
- You've got a story (or two) of royally goofing it and can tell us why it would never happen again under your watch.
Examples of projects our team has worked on:
- Migration from Bare Metal Servers to Google Cloud
- Snuba, Sentry's new Search Infrastructure
- Mitigating Risk while Migrating to ClickHouse
- Sentry's Symbolication Service
- 4+ years relevant experience
- Strong knowledge of replicated and distributed data storage systems
- You have experience with some or all of the following tools we leverage:
- System Administration: Debian, GCE, Docker
- Databases: PostgreSQL, ClickHouse, Kafka
- Environment Management: Saltstack, Kubernetes, Terraform
- TCP/HTTP Routing: HAProxy, NGINX, Envoy
- Data Streaming Platforms: Kafka, RabbitMQ
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to articulate technical concepts clearly and succinctly
- In the San Francisco Bay Area or willing to relocate
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees, 75% company-paid for dependents
- Monthly commuter subsidy
- 401k program
- Learning & Development stipend
- Charitable matching program
- Generous parental leave policy
- Flexible working schedule and vacation policy, work from home policy, and real work/life balance
- Friday catered lunches
- Company events (Hack Weeks, All Hands, quarterly social events) and friends and family events
- Relocation assistance
Sentry values diversity and inclusivity in our company and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.