The Sentry Story
Our Co-Founders David Cramer and Chris Jennings realized that developers are at the core of virtually every organization, building and managing the software that makes modern businesses tick. With the developers' workflow in mind, they started an open-source side project that has now turned into a well-loved product used by 1M+ developers.
It is our mission to empower software development teams to build better products, faster. Our application monitoring platform helps millions of developers discover, triage, and resolve software issues, so they can spend less time debugging and more time doing what they love... building software.
About the Role / Impact
The Engineering Operations team is responsible for the deployment, configuration, maintenance and monitoring of Sentry's hosted platform. We do this by leveraging automation tools to automatically spin up and scale services to meet the traffic demands of 1,000,000+ developers. Sentry receives over a billion events a day, and process terabytes of data to return complex aggregations with sub-second latency.
As a Senior Operations Engineer, you will work with our Infrastructure team to evolve Sentry's data storage systems to handle 100x our current event volume. You'll do this by automating the addition of instances to our Kafka and ClickHouse clusters, and researching and implementing new ways of increasing the performance and resilience of those systems. You’ll contribute to vision of Engineering Operations in a world of cloud providers, and when nothing else needs your attention, you will aid other engineering teams in in their efforts to grow and sustain Sentry.
If you're looking for a high-impact role where you move a company from processing "big data" to "really big data", this could be the job for you.
In this role, you will:
- Ensure the uptime and reliability of Sentry's hosted platform.
- Architect and automate services and systems to meet the demand of scale.
- Perform routine upgrades on Production-critical databases (Postgres, ClickHouse, Redis).
- Research and tune databases to operate at maximum efficiency.
- Collaborate with other Engineering teams to deploy and scale new and existing services.
- Be a member of the Engineering Operations team's on-call rotation, and be available to respond and resolve critical issues.
You’ll love this role if:
- You’re not afraid to dig into Linux internals during the troubleshooting process.
- You've experienced leading the way
- You've seen networks make and break hosted solutions; and have direct experience with growing and maintaining distributed systems.
- You’re familiar with the various SaaS ecosystems and have taken ownership of a service you once knew nothing about.
- You've got a story (or two) of royally goofing it and can tell us why it would never happen again under your watch.
You'll be successful in this role if you have:
- 4+ years relevant experience
- Strong knowledge of replicated and distributed data storage systems
- You have experience with some or all of the following tools we leverage:
- System Administration: Debian, GCE, Docker
- Databases: PostgreSQL, ClickHouse, Kafka
- Environment Management: Saltstack, Kubernetes, Terraform
- TCP/HTTP Routing: HAProxy, NGINX, Envoy
- Data Streaming Platforms: Kafka, RabbitMQ
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to articulate technical concepts clearly and succinctly
- In the San Francisco Bay Area or willing to relocate
Examples of projects our team has worked on:
- Migration from Bare Metal Servers to Google Cloud
- Snuba, Sentry's new Search Infrastructure
- Mitigating Risk while Migrating to ClickHouse
- Sentry's Symbolication Service
To Learn More About Sentry
- We just raised our series C! Learn more on VentureBeat, Business Insider, and TechCrunch.
- We're constantly writing about...us. Check out our blog here.
- We're also tweeting away. Keep up with us on Twitter.
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees, 75% company-paid for dependents
- Monthly commuter subsidy
- 401k program
- Learning & Development stipend
- Charitable matching program
- Generous parental leave policy
- Flexible working schedule and vacation policy, work from home policy, and real work/life balance
- Friday catered lunches
- Company events (Hack Weeks, All Hands, quarterly social events) and friends and family events
- Relocation assistance
Sentry values diversity and inclusivity in our company and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.