About this Role
Sentry is a company that understands the value of investing in design and a quality brand. We recently updated our brand style to set some constraints as we lay the groundwork for the future. However, we’ve left it intentionally undocumented and undogmatic in preparation for hiring this role.
This is a full-time, specialist position focused on design and illustration. We are looking for candidates that focus on style as much as they do on UX and content.
Applications that do not mention the name of our company or include skills expressed as progress bars will not be considered.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Designing marketing pages, print materials, and swag
- Illustration, when appropriate
- Pushing the limits of the existing brand style
- Documenting the new brand rules you put into place
- Occasionally building what you design (optional, if you have the experience)
You’ll love this role if:
- You respect the value of design constraints but enjoy pushing their limits.
- You hate it when project managers say “it’s good enough” or “we’ll add the fancy stuff in the next round.”
- You wish more companies would invest in design.
- You rewrite copy that makes your work look bad, then ask for feedback from the writer.
You may be unhappy with this role if:
- You consider yourself a design-savvy frontend developer. While there are opportunities to build, this role is focused on design.
- You prefer quick, utilitarian design solutions. This role has equal parts form and function.
Include the following with your application:
- A link to a portfolio or relevant work.
- Must live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- You have at least five years visual design experience, or a portfolio that can trick us into believing you do.
- You have experience working on high-visibility marketing sites.
- You are capable of doing your own illustration and don't mind working with other illustrators.
- You have worked with technical product brands before and can communicate complex concepts in approachable ways.
- You’ve worked in a collaborative environment, but can self-direct.
- You know how to design things for the web and understand what can and can’t be built.
- You always have a quick answer to “Why did you do this?” for everything in your work.
Bonus (optional) skills
- Copywriting/content production
- Experience with web languages/web performance
- Motion graphics
- Be part of an experienced team (https://sentry.io/about/) that has worked on some of the web's most popular software products and open source tools.
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Flexible working schedule and real work/life balance.
- Casual work environment.
- Relocation assistance.