Bad software is everywhere, and we’re tired of it. Sentry is on a mission to help developers write better software faster, so we can get back to enjoying technology.
With more than $217 million in funding and 85,000 organizations that believe we’re on to something, we're building performance and error monitoring tools that help companies like Disney, Microsoft, and Atlassian spend less time fixing bugs and more time building products. If you like to selfishly build things that make your digital life better, come help us build the next generation of software monitoring tools.
About the role
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Telemetry Experience team in Vienna, Austria, you will join a cross-functional group of Software Engineers that is responsible for the client-facing operation of Sentry. This means you will be involved in the design and evolution of both external and internal services, as well as create new mission-critical software at Sentry.
The Telemetry Experience team is focused on building heuristics that help decide which events out of the billions we ingest are worth storing and which are ok to discard (Dynamic Sampling).
You will collaborate with other teams throughout the company to ensure that our customers can get to important, actionable data easier than before. The scope of work includes and is not limited to Issues, Performance, Alerts, Discover, and Dashboards. Presenting new ideas to our technical steering committee, establishing ownership of a feature set, and growing your technical skills are just a few of the activities you can expect from this role.
If you want to build and improve product features that empower software development teams to do their best work, all while writing open-source code, this could be the role for you.
In this role you will
- Develop product features for our open-source React single-page application (by developers for developers)
- Partner with our design team and define the best approach to visualize insights into our customer’s products
- Collaborate with your team to define API contracts for new features
- Work with product management and the larger engineering organization to define, implement, and ship initiatives
- Build tests for your code to maintain a high standard of quality for Sentry; as well as write documentation (with our technical writing staff) to help educate both peers and customers
- Review code and mentor peers developing their careers at Sentry
You’ll love this job if you
- Desire to be the change you seek in the world, improve Sentry, and use Sentry to make Sentry better. You are the target customer for the software you build, and you can influence what makes it into the product
- Relish the idea of making small improvements to a tool that magnifies into days of saved time across our customer base
- Thrive in cross-functional environments, collaborating with individuals across many disciplines to deliver the best solutions possible
- Enjoy working with thoughtful, collaborative engineers who push themselves and others to improve
- Take pride in building features that don't just work but are also delightful to use
- Have a solid understanding of React and TypeScript
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills and ability to articulate technical concepts clearly and succinctly
- Align with our core value, Pixels Matter, and are detail-oriented
- Write robust and performant code that adheres to company standards
- A deep empathy for developers and a passion for helping to alleviate their pain points
COVID Vaccine Required - Reasonable Accommodations for Medical or Religious Reasons Considered
We are obliged by law to quote the minimum wage of EUR 52,220,-- gross per year for this position, in accordance with the respective collective agreement (IT-KV). The salary that Sentry offers you is adjusted to the current market situation and our starting point is EUR 85,000-- gross per year.
A successful candidate will be eligible to participate in Sentry’s employee benefit plans/programs applicable to the candidate’s position (including incentive compensation, equity grants, paid time off, and group health insurance coverage). See Sentry Benefits for more details about the Company’s benefit plans/programs.
Equal Opportunity at Sentry
Sentry is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to its employees and candidates for employment regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or other legally-protected characteristic. This commitment includes the provision of reasonable accommodations to employees and candidates for employment with physical or mental disabilities who require such accommodations in order to (a) perform the essential functions of their jobs, or (b) seek employment with Sentry. We strive to build a diverse team, with an inclusive culture where every teammate can thrive. Sentry is an open-source company because we believe that everyone, everywhere, should have the ability and tools to make great software. Software should be accessible. That starts with making our industry accessible.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.